Maybe you heard President Trump granted a presidential pardon to Dinesh D’Souza for his felony conviction of making illegal campaign contributions. When informing him of the pardon, Trump told D’Souza that he was “a great voice for freedom” and wanted him to be a “bigger voice than ever.”
That pardon, like every other thing Trump does, sparked outrage among rational-thinking Americans. But you may be wondering why. Who is Dinesh D’Souza and what voice does Trump want to be bigger than ever?
A brief overview of him in the NY Times called D’Souza a documentarian and author who has spent “almost four decades in a cycle of provocation and controversy that has made him . . . a hero of the right” and whose “books and movies attacking liberal ideologies and politicians have had great commercial success, but he has promoted conspiracy theories and his work has been criticized as inaccurate and excessively incendiary, sometimes by other conservatives.”
Here’s a short list of the lies, conspiracy theories and hate he is responsible for:
- calling the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va was staged
- a book claiming the “cultural left” was responsible for 9/11 and that the left is secretly allied with Osama bin Laden and Islamic radicals’ movement
- mocking the survivors of the Parkland, Fla shooting on Twitter
- a movie claiming that Obama, because of his Hawaiian birth and his father’s nationality, is less of an American
- referring to Obama as a “boy” from the “ghetto”
- a movie promoting a distopian view of America under a potential Hillary Clinton presidency in which he claimed she was trying to “steal America”
He is embraced by the likes of Steve Bannon and Newt Gingrich.
Dinesh D’Souza is a right-wing liar and promoter of Fake News. That’s the man our president calls a “great voice for freedom.”